Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, December 19, 2011

Getting Started

I used to make all sorts of things - covered lampshades, greeting cards, blankets, upcycled furniture and more.  Then I had my two boys 18 months apart, and my husband worked evenings while I worked days, so most often I was a 'single' mom.   I no longer had time for all of my old, beloved hobbies.

Over the years, we've always had a craft cupboard, but it's been filled with pipe cleaners, markers, and  ceramic or wood pieces for the kids to paint.

This past year, a health condition that I've had for 8 years drastically worsened. Most days, I was housebound. I decided I need a new hobby, one that would keep me busy. I'm an avid reader, but some days I wanted something different to do.

I decided knitting was the hobby for me - many of my family members are avid knitters, and my grandma actually owns a knitting shop! I tried several times to teach myself. I bought a video on knitting, a 'how to teach yourself to knit' book, and looked at instructions and video on the internet.  All to discover that I just couldn't figure out how to hold my hands. Since grandma is too far away to teach me, I gave up.

Then a neighbor suggested crochet. I bought a kit with everything I needed to get started, and within a day I had finished my first dish cloth.  Granted, it's the ugliest thing you've ever seen, but I did it, and I made it all by myself!

From dish cloths to scarves - I've now made about 10 dish clothes, a hot pad, 25 scarves, and I'm working on a baby blanket for my dear friend. There's no stopping me now!  The joy I have found in this new hobby has led me to get back into all sorts of other projects. 

Here are some of the scarves and fingerless mittens that I've made:  

Join me on my journey, as I rediscover the joys of being 'Creative Again.'

No comments:

Post a Comment