Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Happy New Year - and don't forget the less fortunate...

I took a few days off and celebrated the holidays with my family.  How can it be that the holidays just get better every year? Everyone got along, the food was great, the company even better.  My boys are at an age where they're pretty self-sufficient. They enjoyed time with their cousins and were truly thankful for all of their gifts.

At this time of the year, everyone tries to 'get back to normal.'  I had a real eye opening experience this holiday. My beloved Sister-In-Law has a new job - she is the homeless liason for her school district. She  is responsible for 250 students. I heard so many sad stories, so I asked what I could do.  She said the kids often ask for help getting the simple things - socks, underwear, quarters for laundry, and personal hygiene items. It seems everyone is in need these days, but the thought of going to school without underwear? Or being teased for having dirty clothes? That's just not fair.

My SIL says the Purex 3-in-1 laundry sheets are great for students, they're lightweight and easier to carry than a bottle of soap.  Amazon has them on a great sale right now, so I ordered several packages.  Then I went to Target (love, love that store).  Have you ever noticed how they have their 'repackaged' items at a discount? I found so many packages of socks and underwear - all on clearance because the packages had been opened.

Last but not least, I have scarves coming out of my ears - yes, even after giving away about 20 of them as gifts. So tomorrow's mail will contain a big box to my SIL - full of socks, undies, scarves and laundry supplies.  It feels so good to help these students.

What can you do to keep up that spirit of giving?





No comments:

Post a Comment